You are currently using an outdated browser. For the best viewing experience, please upgrade your browser here.

How to Apply

Please read all information on this page if you would like to apply for a course at the Melbourne College of Hair and Beauty (MCOHB) as an International Student.

Age Requirements

International applicants must be 18 years of age or older to enrol in any courses offered by MCOHB.

English Language Requirements

MCOHB requires you to provide an English language test result of 5.5 or higher for IELTS or equivalent. There are some exceptions around English Language test requirements – for further information, please click here.

Enrolment Process

Application Form

The first step when enrolling in any course at MCOHB is to complete the Enrolment form. Please fill in all details correctly and neatly. You can find the Enrolment Form under Downloads. You may then bring your enrolment form in and begin the process in person or, email it to us here.

Student Questionnaire (If applying offshore)

If you are applying from offshore and we are not able to do a face to face interview with you, we will ask you to complete a short questionnaire. This will be available to you after initial application.

Application Fee

The application fee of AUD $250.00 must be paid upon enrolment acceptance and is non-refundable. On receipt of this fee, MCOHB will create your letter of offer.

What is a letter of offer?

Prior to course commencement, a prospective overseas student is entitled to request a “letter of offer”. This letter will detail all the relevant information of the chosen course and will aid you with your visa application.

Deposit or First Payment

MCOHB requires your first payment before the commencement of the course in order to issue the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).

What is a CoE?

A CoE stands for Confirmation of Enrolment. Once you have been accepted to study at MCOHB, you will be issued with a Confirmation of Enrolment.  A CoE is proof to you and the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) that you have enrolled in a course. It confirms your personal details, your course start and end date, and your fees. If you intend to complete an English course within Australia prior to commencing training at MCOHB, it is necessary for you to hold two separate Confirmation of Enrolments, one for each course.

Acceptance Deadlines

There is no official acceptance deadline, however, it is strongly advisable to accept as soon as possible. This will allow you as much time as possible to complete all acceptances and visa procedures helping to ensure you can commence by the specified date.

What happens next?

After you have returned the acceptance form to MCOHB we will organise your textbooks and equipment. We will then see you on your commencement date stated in your Letter of Offer and CoE.

For further information regarding Enrolment, Fees and policies, please read the International Student Handbook which can be found under Downloads.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

All student visa holders must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance in Australia. You must not arrive in Australia before your health insurance starts. For all requirements and further information, please visit the DHA website.

Transfer between registered providers

If you are thinking about changing your course of study, you must ensure that you continue to meet all of the conditions that apply to your student visa.

If you have not completed six months of your principal course (the main course of study you are undertaking) and you want to change your education provider, the ESOS National Code explains the circumstances in which this will be possible. Unless special circumstances apply, you usually need to have permission from your existing education provider to transfer to another education provider. Please click here for more information.

Deferral or suspension of courses

Once you have enrolled in a course, MCOHB will not allow you to defer commencement of the course except on the grounds of illness, evidenced by a doctor’s certificate, or other exceptional circumstances beyond the control of the student, eg. bereavement. If you defer or suspend your studies on any grounds, MCOHB is required to notify the Department of Home Affairs (DHA). You must apply for Approved Leave in writing and submit supporting documentation i.e. medical certificate from a registered medical practitioner, death certificate and return air tickets as required.

Unique Student Identifer (USI)

All students who study in any courses in Australia from 1 January 2015, must also have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) number. You can make one on the USI website, or you can give MCOHB permission to create one for you.

Immigration Information

Department of Home Affairs (DHA) is the government body that deals with Immigration. Always visit their website for accurate and up to date information.

Change of Immigration status

If a change in your immigration status occurs during your course at MCOHB, you need to inform us of your new status.

Course Completion

Upon course completion, the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) will be notified. You must have a valid visa to remain in the country.

Tax File Number

A tax file number (TFN) is a unique number issued to individuals and organisations to help the Tax Office administer tax and other Australian Government systems. It’s one of your most important forms of identification in Australia. It’s yours for life and keeping it secure is a good defence against identity theft.

While it is not compulsory to quote a TFN without one you may:

  • pay more tax than necessary, or
  • not be able to get government benefits you are entitled to receive.

A TFN will also help you:

  • lodge a tax return
  • ask the Tax Office about your tax affairs
  • start or change jobs
  • limit the amount of tax you pay on interest or dividends earned if you have savings accounts or investments that earn income.

Your TFN is valuable. Don’t share it with friends and don’t provide it on the internet when applying for work. Keep it secure.

Applying for a TFN

If you are a permanent migrant or temporary visitor to Australia you can apply for a TFN online after you arrive in Australia if you have a:

  • visa that allows work rights
  • visa that allows permanent migration
  • valid overseas student visa, or
  • valid visa to stay in Australia indefinitely

To apply complete the Online individual tax file number (TFN) registration. When applying online, you do not have to physically provide proof of your identity. Applying for a TFN using false or other peoples’ identity details, or misusing your TFN, can mean heavy fines or jail.

If you need more information about TFNs, you can:

Education Agents

Under Australian Government law, every Australian education institution has to list on their website every education agent it has appointed to represent them in each country.